dimanche 2 novembre 2014

French verb of the day : Exiger

Pronunciation : [ɛɡ zi ʒe]

Definition 1 : to demand

Ex :

Je veux et j'exige des excuses - I want and I demand an apology

J'exige que demain tu arrives au boulot à 8h00 - I demand that you get to work tomorrow  at 8am.

Definition 2 : to require, to need

Ex :

S'occuper des enfants exige beaucoup de patience - Taking care of children requires a lot of patience

Definition 3 : to insist

Ex :

J'exige que tu nettoies ta chambre - I insist that you clean your room.

J'exige que tu me respectes - I insist that you respect me

Definition 4 :

Exigé(e) : mandatory, obligatory, required

La connaissance de l'anglais est exigée pour ce poste - The knowledge of English is required for this job offer

Pour conduire un moteur, le port du casque est exigé - To drive a motorbike, It is mandatory to wear helmets.

Expression :

Exiger beaucoup/trop de quelqu'un - to expect a lot/too much from somebody

Related :

Exigible (adjectif) - due (for payment), payable
Cet impôt est exigible en septembre   payment of this tax falls due in September

Exigence (noun) - demand, requirement, expected salary

Exigeant(e) (adjectif) - demanding, hard to please



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire